Kids' favorite! It is a very easy recipe, but you have to keep an eye on it: make sure the milk does not burn down.
1 cup rice (regular, store brand)
1 cup water
5 cups milk
pinch of salt
6 tbs sugar
1 tbs vanilla extract
1/2 lemon's zest (fresh! If you don't have it, 1 tbs lemon juice is o.k. too)
1 big handful of raisins for extra sweetness (you can leave it out)
It takes about 1 hour to make it. However you don't need to be in the kitchen all the time, just check it in every 5-8 minutes to make sure the milk does not burn down.
- Measure the water, rice and a pinch of salt into a big pan and bring to to boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the rice absorbs the water (5 min)
- Add the milk, and bring it to boil on medium-low heat, while stirring frequently; milk burns easily.
- About stirring frequently: it is o.k., it suppose to be sticky :)
- When boils, lower the heat to lowest possible; but make sure it bubbles, slowly. (20-30 min)
- When the rice absorbed about 3/4 of the milk (it has a soup-like look), add the sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and the raisins and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes; it will thicken.
Serve with cinnamon sugar, cocoa sugar, or both :)